Monday, January 21, 2013

Lost a Tooth, Found Jesus

For weeks now B1 and 2 have been so excited to go on a trip with our youth group to Pigeon Forge, TN!!  We are no stranger to this area, so it wasn't excitement of going to a new place or a weekend away from home.  It was the excitement to be worshiping Jesus along with other tweens and teens who had traveled short and long distances to do the same!  I was a tween myself the last time I participated in a youth conference. However I do remember it made a great impression on me, and now that my two older kids are of age, we felt it was time to allow them to experience it as well.

Strength to Stand Youth Conference

As we were preparing to head out the door on Saturday morning for the 1 hour trip to our destination, a molar of B2's decided it was time let go and allow her to pull it out.  I've been watching this child of mine for a while develop into a beautiful little tween and have been proud of the character I see being built in her heart and mind.  We were excited for her to be a part of a very exciting but meaningful time at the conference.

Saturday night the conference started out with what I consider a cross between Rap and Techno music. The kids were jammin and singing and praising God and I just had to join in.  I'm not a fan of this style of music (I prefer Rock over anything), but I have to admit I had a blast waving my hands in the air, jumping to the beat, and convincing B1's boyfriend to do the same!!  Who said worshiping our Savior and Creator had to be boring and stiff necked???  Remember David and what he did in the streets???? Well, if you don't know what I'm talking about, get yourself a Bible and start reading...you will get to that chapter in just a little while.

Oh, and did I mention the David Crowder band?  At first I thought Duck Dynasty had formed a Christian music band!!  He's sporting a much larger version of recent beards I've seen on him, but the performance was awesome.  They even did a hoedown style medley of hymns like I'll Fly Away, which is one of my favorite hymns!  I've never seen so many kids so EXCITED while singing that song...and trotting around to boot!! After a slowed down tempo and a few moments of Amazing Grace, I looked over and realized my 10 year old is in tears.  I've known for a long time that God was working in her heart and moving her to a decision.  I've had hand fulls of conversations with her about the importance of salvation and have allowed her the freedom to make the move when she is ready.  We try to work on God's time, not ours...


We're back home now and I'm exhausted, but exhilarated at the same time.  This past weekend has brought me closer to my two older children, and has brought me much closer to my Jesus than I've been in far too long.  I know for a fact that both of my children have came back with a new perspective of how and why they should follow Jesus and stay learning about the Bible.

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, 
So are the children of one’s youth.


One of my favorite verses.  Arrows in the hands of a skilled Archer are sure to find their mark.  Our children are arrows of our future. As parents we point them in the direction of the target. If we are not patient, have no focus on the future, and are without steady hands and breath, our arrows will stray from their intended path only to be lost and left waiting to be found.  What is that target?  A life long relationship with Jesus!

How do we ensure they hit the mark?  Parents, it starts with us.  If our life is filled with drama, doubt, anger, bitterness, jealousy, and fear, and if we do not ourselves take up our cross daily and mark our own path, we cannot aim the next generations in the right direction. So how do we aim ourselves steady and true?  Study the Word, apply the Word, live the Word.  Don't just take time to do this, MAKE time to do this.  You will not hit your mark either if you are not in the hands of the great I AM. 

I am proud of that beautiful little bee in the picture!!!!!


2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post! Words of praise, inspiration and love. Thank you for sharing. I am blessed to know each of your bees and very thankful for my friendship with their Momma Bee. Each of your little bees are growing up into beautiful people.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the hive and leaving a comment! I'll get it posted as soon as possible!!